Sunday, November 14, 2010

Dream of Tomato Soup

I've been watching tasty videos from Chef A.J. and Julieanna Hever recently. Their excellent show, The Chef and the Dietitian, features recipes that are fully ETL-compliant and contain no oil, sugar, or salt.



I made their Dream of Tomato Soup tonight for dinner. It was really, really easy and tasted great. I'm still trying to get over my salt addiction and this really did satisfy my salty cravings.

Here is the recipe from the video:

Dream of Tomato Soup

1 lb tomatoes, cut in half
2 red bell peppers, roughly chopped
2-3 cloves garlic
fresh basil
1 lemon, juiced
3-4 sun-dried tomatoes, not in oil
1/2 tsp chipotle powder [I omitted because I didn't have any]
up to 1 cup hemp seeds, or other seeds/nuts (optional)

Blend all ingredients except the seeds in a high powered blender (e.g. Vitamix) until smooth.

Blend the seeds, if using, into the soup to make it creamy.

Makes approximately 6 cups.

I found that without the seeds/nuts, the soup seemed creamy enough and tasted fine. But a little fat increases the absorption of nutrients better, so I added about 1/2 cup of cashews since I didn't have any hemp seeds. This lightened the color and made the soup a little richer.

I used a Vitamix but it didn't heat the soup up enough to steam like in the video. I gently heated my serving after it was done, but it would probably still taste good at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment