Thursday, March 29, 2012

Can I reform a SAD-Eater?

I don't think it's any secret that one of the most important people in my life -- my new husband -- is a SAD eater. If I am on the "extreme" spectrum (his words) of eating, then he is pretty close to the other extreme. This was quite a contentious point while we were dating and before we got married, and still is an on-going battle to some extent. For now, he is mostly respectful that I want to eat this way, but until recently has shown zero interest in joining me. That was fine with me for a while. Early on, I had tried to push and persuade, but that just seemed to backfire and alienate him even more. So I gave up and decided that he had to make his own decisions as an adult and I could just try to set the best example I could.

Well, he got his cholesterol checked earlier this year and it was bad. Very bad. Plus he has been dealing with these cold/flu-like symptoms that haven't been going away for weeks. It's not quite a full-blown illness, but it's enough to make him have coughing fits, congestion, and complain of no energy. He thinks maybe he has suddenly developed "allergies", despite never having them before. And he has been doing nothing to help his health but feed it fast food sandwiches at breakfast AND lunch. Sometimes with fried potatoes and always with soda. Last week, he discovered a blood pressure machine at work and decided to try it. His BP, which had been normal in the past, was in the "hypertension" range! I freaked out a bit.

So late last week we had a long talk about his health. VERY reluctantly, he has agreed to allow me to prepare all meals for him for the next three weeks. It's going to be tough. He is an incredibly picky eater. He doesn't like soups, stews (this includes chili), tomatoes, most vegetables, oatmeal, cereal, most ethnic foods, beans... the list goes on and on. He also likes his food HOT and sometimes travels for his job which means he doesn't have access to a microwave. I've been racking my brain all day already wondering what I'm going to feed him.

We start on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment