Thursday, October 21, 2010

Practicing race fueling

I haven't been ETL-ing as well as I would like. About a month ago, I had a discussion with my triathlon coach and some of the others in group also doing IM next month. The coach stressed the importance of fueling properly. He said that the more we eat while we race, the better we'll do. He gave us a formula to calculate how many calories to try to get per hour during the race. It worked out to about 200 calories/hour for me. 200 calories! That seems like a lot. I barely get 200 calories in 1.5-2 hours of training. I've always had stomach sensitivty and distress during races too (which rarely happens in training) so I'm a little worried about trying to eat so much in such a short period of time plus with stuff I'm not used to.

The coach also told us not to rely on our "special needs" bag since anything could happen and there is a possibility we won't have access to it. So although this doesn't jive with ETL, I've decided to try training with the stuff that will be used on the course - namely, Powerbar products. This way, I won't have to rely on my special needs bag and won't have to carry a bunch of special items with me. I can just grab what is at the aid stations because that is what will be there.

I purchased a few boxes of Powerbar gels and the powdered drink they'll have available. I refuse to do the bars because (1) I don't do solids well while racing and (2) they contain HFCS.

I hope my body tolerates this junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment