Saturday, July 4, 2009

Would you date a vegan?

I'm trying online dating, which is making dates somewhat challenging. It is one thing if you're vegetarian, because you can almost always find something on the menu, without drawing too much attention. But I feel that sticking to strict ETL, it is hard to order anything but a salad. I don't come out and tell people I am "vegan" or even "vegetarian" because I don't feel that I am. I'm a nutritarian, but hardly anyone knows what that means!

Most guys I meet claim to "love to eat", and seem disappointed that they can't take a girl out for pizza and burgers. I would never ask anyone to eat the way I do, just to respect my choices as I do theirs. But I get the impression they feel judged for their choices.

I went out on 2 first dates recently -- one to a burger joint and another to a brewery. I had a burger at the burger place and felt horrible about it afterward. But I had justified it in my mind. I didn't want to seem "different" or "weird" when it's already so difficult for me to meet guys to begin with. I didn't want to provide a reason for someone NOT to date me. That sounds silly as I read it. My logical side says that I shouldn't be compromising my values and that I shouldn't date anyone who doesn't accept who I am anyway. Uh huh. A bit easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment