Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 2

I woke up hungry. That's a first. I almost felt like eating something, but the "I'm starving!" feeling subsided. We had a hard workout today of bike/run intervals and later, the coach talked about the importance of eating before our workouts. He said it should be around 300 calories and that you could drink juice if it was hard to take in food that early in the morning. This is pretty standard advice in sports nutrition and it makes me wonder if I should be eating beforehand again. I used to have oatmeal before my workouts which worked well, but ETL advocates less frequent meals so I've stopped doing them. I haven't noticed a decrease in performance yet, so for now I'll stick with not eating.

I got very hungry this morning around 11 am and again around 3 pm. Those used to be my standard snacking times. I had a strong desire to buy something from the vending machine at work. But I had brought extra food with me and questioning whether I wanted to eat the food I brought. The answer was "no" which proved it was a craving, not real hunger.

Around 4 pm, I really did want to eat my food, so I caved and had some beans. I also have a huge headache today, but I'm guessing that's from the "detox."


9 am - green smoothie: 1 orange, 8 oz strawberries, cauliflower stems, kale, parsley, 1 T flax seed

11 am - apple

12 pm - salad: romaine, small avocado, roasted peppers, 1/2 cucumber, 1 tomato, no dressing
- caponata with added broccoli and 3/4 cup black-eyed peas

4 pm - 3/4 cup black-eyed peas

7 pm - went out with roommate to a Korean tofu house: tofu soup with mushrooms, pickled vegetables (probably too much salt)

E - bike: 0:50, run: 0:30, during workout: sports drink (100 cal)


It's not perfect with the snacking, but it's far better than I've been doing recently and I won having not given in to the siren call of the vending machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment