Friday, March 5, 2010

Food fight: kumquats versus muffins

This morning there was a pleasant surprise waiting in the work kitchen... a bag of brightly colored, happy-looking kumquats! They smelled heavenly. Posted on the bag was "FREE - from Dave." I took several and ate them with breakfast. I love kumquats! They are tart and sweet and are a great treat.

I emailed Dave to thank him for the kumquats and his response was, "So that's what they were?" I talked with him later and found that his wife encouraged the family to subscribe to a CSA this year because she feels better about supporting a local farm. But they are wasting some of the produce items they don't like and "can't possibly eat that much lettuce." Bring some my way, I say! I'd love to get into the CSA they are in but when I checked back in December, they are full and putting people on a wait list. He says he is entertaining his wife's idea for now but in secret feels it's "rubbish" and will quit as soon as the subscription is over.

About an hour later, someone brought in a huge tray of blueberry muffins into the office. The kumquats and muffins sat next to each other on the kitchen table. Can you guess which choice won out? Within 45 minutes, the muffins were gone and the kumquats were still there.

Oh well - more for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment