Thursday, July 22, 2010

Beck - Day 23: Counter the Unfairness Syndrome

Today is another exercise in dealing with feelings of unfairness. Beck discusses how many dieters give themselves permission to eat unplanned food when faced with the sense of unfairness. She emphasizes that life isn't fair and it's important not to dwell on this negative thought and move on. She also offers some excellent tips to change your perspective:

  1. Remind yourself why you decided to diet in the first place. This style of eating is always my choice and eating the ETL-way enables me to eat the healthiest food for my body. I might not FEEL like eating this way when I see other temptations around, but I have to remind myself that this way of eating will reward me more than any Girl Scout cookie could.
  2. Make a mental list of the advantages in your life. When I compare my situation with so many others, I am really blessed. How lucky am I to have access to an abundance of fruits and vegetables when so many others in the world are starving. How lucky am I to even have the freedom to live the kind of life I want. Wow, this really does help me put fairness into perspective.
  3. Create a response card. I copied the one from the book to read when I start feeling like this.

The to-do list:

It was pretty easy today since I had to work a ton of hours which surprisingly kept me busy and not busy eating in a recreational way. Since I had prepared food earlier this week, I already had my healthy meals ready for me at work.


I read my Advantages Response Card, NO CHOICE card, and It's Not Okay and Get Back on Track Response Cards at least twice.

I read other Response Cards as needed.

I ate slowly, sitting down and noticing every bite: Every Time

I gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful dieting behaviors: Every Time

I did spontaneous exercise: Most Times

I did planned exercise.

I monitored everything I ate in writing.

I wrote out a food plan for tomorrow.

I worked toward accepting what I have to do to lose weight (Oh, well).

I created a Response Card to deal with the issue of unfairness.

No comments:

Post a Comment