Thursday, June 17, 2010

Beck - Day 17: End Overeating


Today's task is to leave some extra food on your plate that is not on your daily food plan and eat your food while leaving the extra food untouched. Sounds easy enough right? This is for the clean plate eaters who were raised to always finish all of the food on their plates. I know I'm guilty of this. I can remember being reminded constantly of the "starving people" in some country to get me to finish my food. I've gotten better at this over the years though it is something I do have to still think about. I find that a lot of the time, the food tastes so good that I want to keep eating, despite being satisfied.

I practiced this skill today at lunch by overloading my bowl with additional cherries that I planned on eating. There were 5 additional ones that I wasn't supposed to eat. I didn't think this was going to be difficult, but it was interesting to observe the mental thoughts that raced through my brain:

These cherries are sooooo good. I want to keep eating them.

There are only a few more left, I should just finish them off.

Stop staring at me delicious cherries!


I left them on my desk for a while before putting them away and of course, giving myself credit.

I practiced this today at dinner as well, by serving myself some extra food and putting the rest away when I felt satisfied. This is a skill I've only recently begun to exercise. I'm so used to shoving food in my mouth. But it really helps to pause and ask myself what my hunger level is.

No comments:

Post a Comment