Monday, June 21, 2010

Beck - Day 19: Stop Fooling Yourself

I had a jam-packed weekend and was home for just enough time to shower and get ready for the next thing before heading out again. No time to do any Beck. Ironically, I probably could have used the skill highlighted in today's task throughout the weekend! I got off track and now it's time to get back on. No guilt, just moving on so this doesn't become a streak of off-track meals or days.

Today's task is to answer back to the voice of temptation. It's that little voice inside you that reasons, "It's okay to eat this [off-plan food] because ... " Lots of seemingly logical reasons are listed but the ones that I use the most are:

  • it's a special occasion
  • it'll go to waste
  • it's just this one time
  • I'm upset/happy/angry/lonely/tired

I "fool myself" all the time so this is something that needs a lot of work. Every time I think I can eat something not on my food plan, I need to read the response card I just wrote ("It's not okay to eat this food because...").

I think this may have actually helped today. I'm not feeling particularly motivated since I was so off-track yesterday and was having feelings of "What's the point? I might as well give up now." I even went so far as to get some unplanned food out with the intention of eating it and starting a binge right there.

But I didn't.

I thought about how I was just fooling myself and that I needed to step away and strengthen my resistance muscle.

Whew, that was close.

No comments:

Post a Comment