Friday, September 2, 2011

Mashed Cauliflower and Spinach with Mushroom Duxelle

I subscribe to Dr. Fuhrman's mailing list and get sent the daily recipes. I had all of the ingredients to make this one tonight. I love anything cauliflower and this one was pretty good. I'd give it a solid B. It was good (not Wow!) and I might make it again, but it was slightly more time-consuming than I expected since there are a few components to the dish.


I followed the recipe mostly, except I didn't have any wine so I skipped that part. I used a mix of shiitake and oyster mushrooms.

Mashed Cauliflower and Spinach with Mushroom Duxelle
Serves: 4
Preparation Time: 30 min

10 ounces mushrooms
1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup dry white wine or sherry
6 cups cauliflower florets
4 cloves garlic
10 ounces fresh spinach
1/4 cup raw cashew butter or 1/2 cup raw cashews
soy, hemp or almond milk, if needed to thin
2 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest, or other no salt seasoning blend, to taste
black pepper, to taste

Finely chop mushrooms in a food processor

Heat 2-3 tablespoons water in a large skillet and water saute shallots for 1 minute.

Add mushrooms and thyme and continue cooking until all mushroom liquid has evaporated.

Add wine and cook for an additional 4 minutes or until evaporated. Set aside.

Steam cauliflower and garlic for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.

Drain and press out as much water as possible.

Place spinach in steamer, steam until just wilted, drain and set aside.

Process cauliflower, garlic, and cashew butter in a food processor until creamy and smooth. If necessary, add soy milk to adjust consistency.

Add Vegizest, stir in wilted spinach and add black pepper to taste.
Serve topped with Mushroom Duxelle.


No comments:

Post a Comment